At first you will pass off this system as just a poor attempt at humor. However, it has proven infallible. This rates my own personal view of a course and what is important to me. I inserted this for a reason. We all need to start being more astute in judging the golf experience. We need to look at everything from the way the course plays, to the service at the snack bar. Right now, people build whatever they want and few will criticize a big name architect or developer. I personally find many of the new courses sacrifice playability for aesthetics. Just because a course is difficult and aesthetic, doesn’t mean it is a good course.
Create a system of your own, and judge a course by what is important to you and not what the golf mainstream says.
It is a 0-100 point system and points are bad. The perfect course would get a score of zero.
1. 20 points for quality of green condition (20 being worst)
2. 20 points for quality of condition of the rest of the course
3. 1 point for every hole you find a poor design, for a maximum of 18
4. 1 point for every green you find a poor design, again, for a maximum of 18
5. If a green or hole is exceptionally bad, you can give it an additional point
6. 24 miscellaneous points. Miscellaneous points can be incurred by rudeness of the staff, pace of play, arrogance of players/members and/or course designer. Basically, anything that is involved in ruining your experience. A “course host” showing up to my car wearing plus fours and asking me if I would like to pre-hone my game at the world class practice facility, would incur about a 5-8 point penalty for me. A marshal getting in my grill for waiting too long to hit a drive, or waiting from too far away to hit the green, automatically gets the full 24 point penalty.
7. There also can be bonus “minus points” awarded. Since points are bad, “minus points” would have to result from something excellent I didn’t expect. A really hot beverage cart girl or a sign on the first tee saying, “you must play in 4 hours and/or keep up with the group in front of you.” A marshal driving up and betting me a quarter that I can’t reach the green from 280 all carry over water and waits patiently to watch me do it…would create a -25 point bonus for his facility.
Now add up all the points and see where it falls.
0-10 A course you’d pay any price to play
11-20 A wonderful course and experience
21-30 A very playable course
31-40 Kind of a pile
51-60 Major Pile
61-70 Ultimate Pile
71-80 Beyond Pile
81+ A Donald Trump golf course with a greens keeper about to be fired.
The point of this system is having fun. It’s a game. Make it simple and enjoy yourself.