First off, lots of great observations and questions yesterday. I think we all learn from discussion like that. Please continue.
I also don’t need or want a “perfect” golf swing. I am looking for a swing where I can be free to swing as hard as I want, the body will work in sync and I will be able to release it. Like I said, I will be experimenting with feels till I get to a point where it feels right and works right. Then I will just work on rhythm, balance and playing golf shots. As a side note, I tend to work better from above the plane a little bit.
1. I straightened my knees. Someone last week suggested that and I scoffed. It allowed me to get my hands a little lower and get a little farther away from the ball without giving me bad posture or making me reach for it. It gave me a bit more room to roam and make a better shoulder turn. With lower hands, there is less of a chance of sucking the arms inside…which I have had a tendency to do my whole career.
2. There is always arm lift in any golf swing. Generally the taller you are, the more there is when keeping the club on plane. Tiger has lots of arm lift in his swing. The difference between last week and this week is last week my arms went a bit inside making the shoulder turn a bit too inside. This week there was more shoulder turn lifting the arms, instead of arm lift turning the shoulders. That is how a proper shoulder turn works, but we have been told not to lift the arms and that is why so many golfers get the club too far inside. Someone said it looked forced. Whenever you make a swing change, it always looked forced initially…because you are forcing it 🙂
3. My shoulder turn was better this week and that is why the swing was a bit longer.
4. My hips were working more in sync this week than last…because the shoulder turn was better with less arm control.
5. When the shoulders turn better going back, they turn better through and create more speed. That is why it looked like I was swinging harder. There was not greater effort. In fact, there might have been less.
Here are some great pictures that a poster put in the comments section yesterday that compare last week to this week. Last week I had on the long sleeve pullover that is the same color as my T-shirt and the same pair of shorts makes it hard to distinguish…LOL.